Tuesday, April 19, 2005

habemus papam

I've been giving my students Latin phrases (pontifex maximus, cum clave, etc.) to help them digest the events taking place in Rome. Some appreciate, some don't. Some haven't heard of the pope. One of the more common responses I've gotten is "I'm not Catholic." To which I typically respond, "Well, I'm not either. But this man is the spiritual leader of over 1 billion people; you should probably at least know who he is."

Anyway, I bought and have begun to digest the first sections of the Catholic Catechism. The text clarifies some points in ways that preachers that I have known never have. More later...

Interesting link for the day:

How I Made My Peace With the Roman Catholic Church

If that isn't enough to get me in trouble, here's some more:

What place does the pope have in the lives of non-Catholics?

Enjoy!

2 Comments:

At 4/21/2005 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catholic teaching can be sophisticated. I believe it is the result of thousands of years of meditation on God's word. Unfortunately, "sophisticated" is a dirty word in many churches of Christ. Most prefer to keep it "simple".

 
At 4/21/2005 10:01 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Indeed.

I've wondered, as I have read, how in the world I would ever begin to simplify some of the wonderful ideas I've come across in the Catechism so that a typical cofC audience would accept them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home