Thursday, June 17, 2004

Pro-Life

Travis Stanley blogs today about the meaning of (pro)life. I read the article in Sojourners that he cited a couple of weeks back and it really challenged me to think about my own pro-life stance more deeply especially as it relates to political affiliations. The Republican Party does oppose abortion, but that opposition often comes across as rather shallow; in other words, Republicans don't seem to care about the baby once it leaves the womb. Furthermore, they seem intent on prosecuting wars all around the world that take the lives of innocents in untold numbers. The Democrats seem to have the opposite problem: they oppose war but wholeheartedly support abortion. All this without even mentioning other life-and-death issues (euthanasia, the death penalty, etc.).

At any rate, it looks as though there are now resources for a more comprehensive pro-life ethic. Check out A Seamless Garment (a.k.a. A Consistent Life Ethic) for more information.

1 Comments:

At 6/18/2004 3:56 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Thanks for mentioning me. I appreciate your thoughtful look at the matter. We are having a nice discussion in my comments thread about it, though I am the only one in favor of what I have said. I will check out the link you gave about the matter.

Blessings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home